Bantoo Sehgal, M.D. Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine
"I enjoy that each patient is different and has their own unique story to tell - This challenges me to create a treatment plan that is specific to them and their lifestyle."
Bantoo Sehgal, M.D. is a Board-certified Orthopedic Surgeon who is Fellowship-trained in Sports Medicine - specializing in conditions of the hips, knees, and shoulders. Dr. Sehgal's focus is joint preservation and minimally invasive orthopedic surgery. He dedicated a year of training to research and is published in distinguished medical journals. Dr. Sehgal regularly presents his research at prestigious industry events. He is an active member of several medical associations and strives to help patients of all ages return to the quality of life that they deserve.
"As a child, I was often sick and in and out of the hospital. I really admired the hard work and dedication of the physicians who cared for me. These experiences inspired me to follow a career into healthcare. I see medicine, particularly orthopedics, as one of the few professions that allows patients to regain their quality of life. I chose my sub-specialty in sports medicine because it allows me to further integrate my love for technology and use it to perform cutting-edge minimally invasive procedures."
Dr. Sehgal graduated from medical school at Ross University School of Medicine after which he spent time at the prestigious New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases performing clinical research in orthopedics. He then completed both an internship and his residency in orthopedic surgery at New York Medical College - St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan in New York City. Dr. Sehgal then spent an additional year of training obtaining his sports medicine fellowship at Kaiser Permanente Orange County in Irvine, California and currently holds a Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopedic Sports Medicine (CAQ). This is achieved only by surgeons who have demonstrated qualifications in sports medicine beyond those expected of other orthopedic surgeons by virtue of additional training, a practice characterized by a majority of cases in sports medicine and contributions to the field.
Dr. Sehgal implements the latest advancements in medicine and technology into his practice and enjoys utilizing the most innovative techniques to treat conditions of the hip, knee, and shoulder. He was an understudy with an internationally renowned hip arthroscopist and has published studies for the treatment of FAI (femoroacetabular impingment). He is an expert in ACL reconstruction and well adept in multiple surgical techniques catered for each patient. He is passionate about joint preservation and is trained in advanced cartilage restoration procedures.
Dr. Sehgal has performed hundreds of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair surgeries and patient specific joint replacement surgeries. He has extensive training in the direct anterior approach hip replacement surgery to offer his patients a minimally invasive option to the traditional hip replacement and a faster recovery. Throughout his years in practice he routinely attends specialty training with industry leaders to stay in the forefront of his specialty and stays active in his medical associations.
With expertise serving a wide range of patients that include young elite athletes, professional adult athletes, laborers, weekend worriers and elderly patients, Dr. Sehgal is well trained to find the treatment plan that is right for you. He enjoys the challenges and uniqueness that orthopedics often present. He strives to encourage faster recoveries so patients can return to the activities and sports that they love and restore their quality of life.
About Dr. Sehgal
- Graduated from medical school at Ross University School of Medicine
- Completed a research year at New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Completed both internship and orthopedic surgery residency at New York Medical College - St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan in New York City, New York
- Completed a sports medicine fellowship at Kaiser Permanente Orange County in Irvine, California
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Holds a Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Member of the International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA), the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), and the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- In his free time, Dr. Sehgal enjoys traveling, experiencing new places and cultures, hiking, biking, snowboarding, computers, technology and spending time with his wife and children.
- 07/23/2013 The American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- 10/17/2014 Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- 11/2017 - Present Orthopedic Surgeon Southlake Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Direct Orthopedic Care (DOC)
- 1/2017 - 11/2017 Orthopedic Surgeon Lumin Health
- 8/2011 - 1/2017 Orthopedic Surgeon Essentia Health
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION
- 8/2010 - 7/2011 Kaiser Permanente Orange County
Sports Medicine Fellowship
- 7/2006 - 7/2010 New York Medical College - St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan
Orthopedic Surgery Residency
New York, NY
- 7/2005 - 6/2006 New York Medical College - St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan
New York, NY
- 7/2004 - 5/2005 New York University - Hospital For Joint Diseases
New York, NY
- 9/2000 - 6/2004 Ross University School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine - Awarded 11/2004
- 9/1996 - 5/2000State University of New York at Stony Brook
Bachelor of Science - Awarded 5/2000 Major Biochemistry/Minor Bioengineering
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons - Fellow
- Arthroscopy Association of North America - Member
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine - Member
- International Society for Hip Arthroscopy - Member
- 2005 - 2010 NYC Public Schools Athletic League - High School Varsity Football Coverage
- 2010 - 2011 El Modena High School - High School Varsity Football Coverage
- 2010 - 2011 Chapman University - Division III College Football Coverage
- 2012 - 2016 Ada - Borup High School Athletics - Ada, MN - Head Team Physician
- 2017 - Present Texas Revolution Professional Arena Football - Allen, TX - Head Team Physician
- Kazarov AR., Yang X., Stipp CS., Sehgal B., Hemler, ME.,: An extracellular site on tetraspanin CD151 determines alpha 3 and alpha 6 integrin-dependent cellular morphology. J Cell Biol. 2002 Sep 30;158(7):1299-30
- Liu CJ., Kong W., Ilalov K., Yu S., Xu K., Prazak L., Fajardo M., Sehgal B., DiCesare PE.,: ADAMTS-7: a metalloproteinase that directly binds to and degrades cartilage oligomeric matrix protein. FASEB J. 2006 May;20(7):988 90
- Liu CJ., Kong W., Xu K., Luan Y., Ilalov K., Sehgal B., Yu S., Howell RD., Di Cesare PE.,: ADAMTS-12 Associates with and degrades cartilage oligomeric matrix protein. J Biol Chem. 2006 Jun 9;281(23):15800-8
- Patel VP., Walsh M., Sehgal B., Preston C., DeWal H., Di Cesare PE.,: Factors associated with prolonged wound drainage after primary total hip and knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Jan;89(1):33-8
- Matsuda DK., Schnieder CP., Sehgal B.,: The Critical Corner of Cam Femoroacetabular Impingement: clinical support of an emerging concept. Arthroscopy. 2014 May;30(5):575-80
- Matsuda DK., Gupta N., Burchette RJ., Sehgal B.,: Arthroscopic Surgery for Global versus Focal Pincer Femoroacteabular Impingement: Are the Outcomes Different? Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery. 2015 Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 42-50
- Matsuda DK., Sehgal B., Matsuda NA.,: Endoscopic Pubic Symphysectomy for Athletic Osteitis Pubis. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2015 June 8;4(3): e251-4
Abstracts, Talks, Presentations
- Patel VP., Sehgal B., Preston CF., Walsh M., Di Cesare PE.,: Factors Associated with Prolonged Wound Drainage Following a Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. 2006 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 73rd Annual meeting. Chicago, IL - Poster Presentation
- Patel VP., Sehgal B., Frenkel SR., Sankin A., Liu CJ., Di Cesare PE.,: The role of Estrogen in Osteoarthritis: Is it chondroprotective or chondrodestructive? 2007 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 74th Annual meeting. San Diego, CA - Poster Presentation
- Matsuda DK., Sehgal B., Galloway MR.,: Patient Positioning and Arthroscopic Access to the Hip. 2011 8th Biennial International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) Annual Meeting - Symposium Presentation
- Sehgal B., Purnama P., Maletis GB., Davis B., Funahashi TT.,: Incidence of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries in the General Population and Variations by Age and Gender. 2011 19th Annual Kaiser Hawaii, Update in Orthopaedic Surgery Conference, Wailea, HI - Podium Presentation
- Sehgal B., Purnama P., Maletis GB., Davis B., Funahashi TT.,: Incidence of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries in the General Population and Variations by Age and Gender. 2012 Arthroscopy Association of North America Annual meeting, Orlando, FL - ePoster Presentation & Orthopedics Today Hawaii Conference Poster award winner
- Matsuda DK., Calipusan C., Sehgal B.,: The Critical Corner of Cam Femoroacetabular Impingement: An Arthroscopic Pilot Study. 2012 International Society for Hip Arthroscopy Annual meeting, Boston, MA - ePoster Presentation
- Mobile Computing
- Hiking, & Snowboarding
1300 W Rosedale St.
Fort Worth, TX 76104